By: Crockett Law
Share This Post
Over 350 Killed in Easter Sunday Church Bombings in Sri Lanka
On Easter Sunday, bombs went off at several churches and hotels in Sri Lanka. At least 350 people have been confirmed dead and more than 500 have been injured. The story is still developing. Here is what we know:
- According to the Sri Lankan government, National Thowheed Jamaath (a local Islamist militant group) is responsible for the attacks. It is suspected that they had international assistance.
- The United States is sending FBI agents to assist Sri Lankan law enforcement with investigations.
- President Maithripala Sirisena requested help from the international community in tracking down the extremist groups’ foreign ties.
- Among other sources, The New York Times has reported that the Sri Lankan government was warned about the attacks up to 3 weeks ago.
- Four Americans are among the dead, while most fatalities were Sri Lankan nationals.